Re: Nigeria airways

Date:         11 Feb 98 04:26:35
From:         Jim Wolper <wolpjame@isu.edu>
Followups:    1 2 3

Marc Schaeffer wrote:
> START ITEM
> You're going to have to believe me on this one. I flew on the Nigerian
> Airways flight from Lagos to London on the A310. On takeoff from Lagos,
> fire spewed from the left engine. We climbed to about 2,000 feet, then
> promplty landed in Lagos again. I went to the cockpit, where the pilot
> informed me that since we had a VIP on our flight that had to be in
> London soon, we had to takeoff without the engine. So, we did.

Nonsense.  A non-centerline-thrust twin engine airplane can't maintain
heading with one engine idle and the other producing takeoff thrust
below a known speed called V_{mcg}.  There are procedures for THREE engine
takeoffs in FOUR engine airplanes, involving symmetrical thrust early
and addition of thrust from the third engine as speed builds up.  A long runway
helps, too.

I'd imagine that anyone trying this in a twin would end up in a smoking
hole next to the runway.

Jim Wolper ATP/PhD/MEI