Re: Prototype airliners; what is their fate?

Date:         11 Feb 98 04:26:31
From:         p_hamilton@pipeline.com (Paul Lawrence Hamilton)

don@news.daedalus.co.nz (Don Stokes) wrote:
>I suspect upgrading the 367-80 to airliner standard would have been a
>fairly major undertaking.  As it was, the Dash-80 was pretty thoroughly
>abused by Boeing as a testbed for all sorts of weird stuff -- engine
>testbed, several flap configurationd, rear engine mounting (for the 727)
>are just a few of the things the Dash-80 had done to it.

You will be glad to know that, after an amazing service life that
included all the above  (plus Tex Johnsons famous barrel roll over
Lake Washington) the prototype was restored as a museum piece.
Certainly one of the most significant aircraft of the century.

Paul Lawrence Hamilton, WWW.METROFLIGHT.W1.COM
Samis & Hamilton
Airport and Aviation Consultants
(301) 299-3573