Re: 747-100 vs. -200

Date:         05 Jan 98 23:41:30
From:         kls@ohare.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz)

>... All 747SPs
>eventually had a modified pylon, where the trailing edge was a generous
>curve, staying low before ascending to the wing.  Additionally, where
>the outboard pylon meets the wing was extensively modified with a
>fairing that goes over the wing leading edge and is almost vertical on
>the inboard side and curved on the outboard side.

>... Earlier -100/-200s seem to have both pylons.  My guess is that the
>-100s are the ones with the earlier pylons, while -200s have the later
>pylons.  Can anyone confirm this?

Funny, I was just sitting in the Red Carpet Club at ORD this afternoon,
looking at a parked at gate C16 and noticing the different pylons on the
#1 and #2 engines.  I couldn't see the trailing edge of the pylon and
hadn't seen your message yet, but I did notice that the outboard (#1)
pylon had the fairing you describe where it meets the leading edge of
the wing, unlike the #2 pylon, just as you describe.

This aircraft was an early 747-123 (N156UA, ln 77), so the presence of
the fairing does not distinguish a 747-200 from a -100.  The trailing
edge still might.

--
Karl Swartz	|Home	kls@chicago.com