Re: Rate of climb and descent

Date:         11 Feb 98 04:26:25
From:         "Matthew Lehde" <matt757@earthlink.net>

Stephan Stephany LAC-CC wrote in message ...
>I wonder what would be typical rates of climb and descent for airliners.
>I suppose standard procedures provide for low figures in order to try to
>make the ride as smooth as possible for the passengers. I also would
>like to know what are the limit rates in both cases. I mean, for a twin
>engine aircraft like the 767, "almost empty" (i.e. no passengers/load
>and a small amount of fuel) does the climb rate exceed 5000 fpm? For the
>same 767 fully loaded, spoilers on, etc, would be the figure similar to
>this (downwards)? It does not to be a 767. I just would like to have an
>idea on the subject.

A 737-400 pilot told me that on take-off there is a maximum 20 degrees nose
up rule.
A 727-100QF pilot told me that when they're real light they have to
sometimes reduce power on climb-out so they don't break the 250kt speed
limit under 10,000'.

In descent there is probably no limit.  If ATC wants you lower NOW I think
you can drop like a rock.  On descent it's probably at the pilot's
discretion.

matt757@earthlink.net
matt lehde
IF IT'S NOT BOEING I'M NOT GOING!