Re: Boeing 720

Date:         11 Feb 98 04:24:13
From:         k_ish <kenish@ix.netcom.com>

C. Marin Faure wrote:
> The DC-8 had 3-3 seating from the outset, which is why the airlines
> threatened to buy it when Boeing initially refused to widen the
> as-designed KC-135/707 fuselage, which only accomodated 3-2 seating.
> When Boeing realized the airlines weren't kidding when they said they
> wanted 3-3 seating, they widened the 707 fuselage to be one inch wider
> than the DC-8.  The KC-135 (Boeing 717) fuselage retained its original
> width, however.

How ironic!!  So the next designs give us the 727 with 3-3 seating, and
the DC-9 with 3-2 seating!!  And now, the DC-9 has evolved into the
717-200, which was the original Boeing 717, which was only suited for
3-2 seating.

If I were a conspiracy theorist, I could go to town on this one  :-)

Ken Ishiguro