Re: MD-95-30 becomes 717-200 "Regional Jet"

Date:         26 Jan 98 01:46:41
From:         niels@nospam.demon.co.uk (Niels Sampath)
Followups:    1 2 3

           don@news.daedalus.co.nz "Don Stokes" writes:

>In article <airliners.1998.149@ohare.Chicago.COM>,
>David Lednicer  <dave@amiwest.com> wrote:
>>The KC-135Es are KC-135As reengined with JT3Ds (TF-33s) removed from
>>retired 707s.  They also have 707 horizontal tails.  The KC-135As
			        ^^^^^^^^^^^
	clearer statement would be: `later fanjet 707 horiz. tails.'

>>reengined with CFM56s (F108s) also have 707 horizontal tails. Some
>>KC-135Es are now also being reengined with CFM56s to make them
>>KC-135Rs.
>
>Was that the horizontal or vertical tail?  I ask coz an extension was
>added to the 707 vertical tail to give better directional stability after
>the dutch roll incidents (and the change was retrofitted to 707s already
>built), but not added to the 717.
>
>I don't recall a change to the horizontal stabiliser on the 707 --
>what was it (and why)?

	Yes,  when the change was made from `turbo' to fan jets
	they got new stabs. Includes retrofits-> not sure exactly
	`why'. May have just been a useful aerodynamic modification
	based on on-going research that needed major downtime to
	install (i.e. during re-engining)  as much as due to the
	change in engines.

--
-Niels