Re: Development of MD-11?

Date:         26 Jan 98 01:46:17
From:         faurecm@halcyon.com (C. Marin Faure)

In article <airliners.1998.209@ohare.Chicago.COM>, Marc Hookerman <mh727@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> In article <airliners.1998.141@ohare.Chicago.COM>, "Matthew Lehde" <matt757@earthlink.net> wrote:
> >Lastly, the 777 is by far the best and most advanced airliner in
> >production incorporating customer requested improvements ...
>
> The 777 series is a very good aircraft with great improvements, but when
> it comes to customer liking, there have been more complaints, but that
> is becuase of airlines cattle caring the planes.  UA has their 777's set
> with a TIGHT seating arrangment.  Very uncomfortable.  The only airline
> with good seating space is TWA still, but they are still catching up.
> People say flying on a 777 is like having your knees placed in your
> mouth.

Having recently flown in 777s operated by British Airways, Lauda Air, and
Emirates, as well as on the delivery flight of United's first 777, I would
strongly disagree with your statement.  I have found the nine-abreast
seating on the 777 very comfortable, and all the airlines mentioned had
reasonable seat pitch in coach class.  The ten-abreast 777 actually uses
the same coach seat that's used in most other planes (767, 757, 737,
etc.), so while it is not as comfortable as the 1-inch wider 9-abreast
seat, it's no worse than the coach seats on anyone else's planes.  Some
airlines may elect to go with the minimum seat pitch in coach which, for a
tall person, may not be very comfortable, but the airlines I've
experienced personally have not been overly tight.

C. Marin Faure
  author, Flying A Floatplane