Re: Development of MD-11?

Date:         25 Jan 98 03:27:36
From:         kls@ohare.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz)

>This kinda makes me wanna ask a question, why do all the powerplants on an
>aircraft have to be equal?  I mean, OK if there are 2 i can see them equal,
>but how about on say a 747, 2 of them one type, and the other 2 another type
>(thrust wise and all) and in the MD-11's case the wing mounted one type and
>the tail mountd another type.

The simple answer is they don't.  FedEx has some 727s which have had the
#1 and #3 engines replaced with JT8D-217C engines, similar to those on
the MD-80 family, while retaining the original JT8D-17A in the center
position.

The problem is that you need to have spares and maintenance programs for
each type of engine.  It's bad enough having different engine types on
different planes.

(There's also been some discussion about this in the past; see the
archives at http://www.chicago.com/airliners/archives.html.)

--
Karl Swartz	|Home	kls@chicago.com