Re: airbag anyone??

Date:         05 Jan 98 23:43:07
From:         raff@de.ibm.com
Followups:    1 2 3 4 5

Marc Schaeffer wrote:
> Karl Swartz wrote:
> > >i have been wondering whether it would be practical to have airbag
> > >installed on an airliner to increase the chance of survival.
> >
> > I'd expect survivable airliner accidents to be relatively low G, at
> > least along the longitudinal axis of the aircraft, as there are lots
> > of crumple zones.  The need for the greater upper body restraint
> > offered by airbags (or shoulder belts) would therefore be reduced.
> > Basically, an airbag would be an expensive and complex solution to a
> > problem which may not exist.
>
> Since the airbaigs will all blow up at the same moment the available
> volume for the air in the a/c will be reduced in a few milliseconds.
> Guess what happens ...

I saw a short TV report a few weeks ago about airbags in aircraft.
Development for such system is already done - but the system looks
quite different to that installed in cars: The airbags have to be
blown up "manually" by a central switch in the cockpit in case of an
emergency. So there will be no time span of milliseconds but rather
minutes. And the airbags stay blown up.
I don't know if this makes any sense ?!

oli