Re: External inspection

Date:         29 Dec 98 03:12:27
From:         "M. Jones" <rmjones@cyberhighway.net>

Karl Swartz wrote:
>You're thinking of the video of an airliner hitting the water?  That
>almost certainly is the hijacked Ethiopian 767 which ran out of fuel
>and had to ditch just a mile or so short of the runway on the Comoros
>Islands, on November 23, 1996.

Must be the one.

>>I have to respectfully disagree with you on this one.  It didn't take me
>>1/2 a second to realize this mistake, and I'm only a mid-time private
>>pilot.

>You were disoriented and in a life-or-death, high-stress situation
>prior to and during that 1/2 second?  Sorry, I'm not buying that
>argument.

No, but I have been in life-or-death, disorienting situations both
flying and in power plant operations.  You know what you know, and what
you don't know can kill you and those relying on you.  Pilots (not just
airline pilots) absolutely must know nuances such as where a
controller's altitude readout comes from and that an autopilot must have
meaningful inputs for proper operation against exactly these types of
situations.  (Actually these are not nuances at all, but pretty basic
stuff.)  They must know them just as innately as they know that 2+2=4.
Otherwise, flying on any given day is just a crapshoot.  As a paying
passenger on an airliner or riding around with a friend in a C-150 I
deserve nothing less.

But that's ALL that I'm arguing.  I was not there, I did not know these
pilots, I do not know what training they did or did not have, or what
other distractions they may have been dealing with.

Please forgive the possible flogging of a dead horse.  I personally know
too many pilots who have way too much of a 'I know enough to get by'
attitude.

Mike J.