Re: Re-engining 747s

Date:         29 Dec 98 03:12:23
From:         Marc Schaeffer <marcmsc**@cmdnet.lu>

Marc Schaeffer wrote:
> Stefano, there have been 3 other 'jumbos' which were re-engined, the two
> AF-One and the prototype 74
>
> [Moderator's note:  Both "AF One" (VC-25A) aircraft were built with, and
> retain, GE engines.  You're probably thinking of the E4 aircraft David
> Lednicer mentions.  -- Karl]

Right Karl, but after checking out I found the following :

Only the first two E-4A's (73-1676 and 73-1677) were actually delivered
with P&W JT9D engines, but they were converted to E-4Bs with GE CF6-50E
engines at a later date. The third one (74-0787), while still called an
E-4A and later converted to a B, was delivered with GE engines, although
it may have been originally built with the P&Ws. The fourth aircraft
(75-0125) was delivered as an E-4B with the GE engines. The VC25As were
built and delivered with GE engines.

In would appreciate if anyone would have the conversion date of the two
first ships and details on the third one.

Marc Schaeffer --- Luxembourg --- mailto:marcmsc@cmdnet.lu
The DE HAVILLAND COMET website:       http://surf.to/comet
The AIRCRAFT ORDERS    website:      http://surf.to/orders
The ORDERS MAIL-LIST:   http://www.eGroups.com/list/orders