CFM56 on military 707s? (was: Re-engining 747s)

Date:         29 Dec 98 03:12:22
From:         westin*nospam@graphics.cornell.edu (Stephen H. Westin)

kls@ohare.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz) writes:

<snip>

> The sole 707-700 was converted to a 707-3W6C, including engines of
> older, less efficient design, and delivered to the Moroccan government
> on March 10, 1982.  While the commercial offering was all but stillborn,
> the plane no doubt contributed to CFM56 conversions on the KC135 and
> various military versions of the 707.

As I recall from AW&ST of the time, the pylons from the 707-700 flight
test aircraft were turned over to the KC-135R project. But I don't
know of any military 707's with CFM56's; were/are there any? Perhaps
our friends at Boeing would know...

Anyway, I think of the E-8 JSTARS aircraft as the latest and best
military 707, but it seems to wear old low-bypass turbofans (see
<http://www.spartan.edu/issue2b.htm> for an in-flight photo). My guess
is that 707's are so rare in the U.S. military compared to KC-135's
that it wasn't worth the trouble to upgrade them.

--
-Stephen H. Westin