Re: Re-engining 747s

Date:         23 Dec 98 03:52:54
From:         Marc Schaeffer <marcmscx@cmdnet.lu>

spagiola@my-dejanews.com wrote:

> Atlas Air has contracted with Boeing to get two 747-200s re-engined, with the
> original JT9D-7J engines being replaced with CF6-50E-2s. The reason given was
> fleet commonality. See http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/981201/ka_boeing__1.html.
>
> To my knowledge, this is the first time a 747 is re-engined; is this correct?
> (ie not counting engine upgrades such as eg on Cathay's RB211-engined 747s.)

Stefano, there have been 3 other 'jumbos' which were re-engined, the two
AF-One and the prototype 74

[Moderator's note:  Both "AF One" (VC-25A) aircraft were built with, and
retain, GE engines.  You're probably thinking of the E4 aircraft David
Lednicer mentions.  -- Karl]

--
Marc Schaeffer --- Luxembourg --- mailto:marcmsc@cmdnet.lu
The DE HAVILLAND COMET website:       http://surf.to/comet