Re: External inspection

Date:         23 Dec 98 03:52:42
From:         kls@ohare.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz)

>Also just curious, if the airspeed indicator is inop, shouldn't the
>pilot still be able to get some idea of his speed through the INS/GPS
>systems which would provide ground speed ?

Except for a small number of aircraft with experimental systems,
airliners don't have GPS.

INS is more common but by no means universal, mainly installed on
aircraft which are expected to stray from directly controlled airspace.
I remember United having a subfleet of 727s which had INS equipment so
they could fly routes like Chicago-Cancun.  Given some of the remote
places AeroPeru flies, they might well have had INS, but I would bet on
it.

  - Andrew A. Rooney