Re: External inspection

Date:         23 Dec 98 03:52:39
From:         kls@ohare.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz)

>>According to the transcript you refered to, the flight took off at about
>>42 minutes past midnight, with the final recording at 01:11:16.  Hardly
>>VFR conditions.

>Argh.  I didn't key on the times.  (Are they GMT/Zulu?

No, local.  You get an "A" for effort, though!  :-)

>I have to admit assuming that this is the accident caught on video
>during daylight hours.  Seems not to be the case.

You're thinking of the video of an airliner hitting the water?  That
almost certainly is the hijacked Ethiopian 767 which ran out of fuel
and had to ditch just a mile or so short of the runway on the Comoros
Islands, on November 23, 1996.

>>True, though it's a lot easier to remember that while sitting in a
>>comfortable office than when you're in the heat of battle, over the
>>Pacific in the dark of night, with your key instruments having gone
>>nuts.

>I have to respectfully disagree with you on this one.  It didn't take me
>1/2 a second to realize this mistake, and I'm only a mid-time private
>pilot.

You were disoriented and in a life-or-death, high-stress situation
prior to and during that 1/2 second?  Sorry, I'm not buying that
argument.

  - Andrew A. Rooney