Re: Re-engining 747s

Date:         07 Dec 98 23:19:42
From:         kls@ohare.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz)
Followups:    1 2 3 4 5 6 7

>To my knowledge, this is the first time a 747 is re-engined; is this correct?
>(ie not counting engine upgrades such as eg on Cathay's RB211-engined 747s.)

I can think of two other examples, both 747-121 models, which of course
were built with Pratts.  One (ln 1) got a RR Trent, at least in the #2
(or was it #3?) position, while another (ln 25) got a GE90 for #2.  Ok,
so they were both flight testing 777 engines, but they are 747s and they
have been (partly) re-engined!

There are a fair number of examples of re-engining, both minor upgrades
(such as the CX 747s you mention or many early 747s which ended up with
newer JT9D variants) or major ones (such as the DC-8-70 series with
CFM-56 engines or the RR Tay upgrades for the 727).  I can only think
of three cases prior to the Atlas planes, however, where jetliners
underwent a major re-enginging not for efficiency but simply for
convenience:

 * The sole 707-700 (built with CFM-56 engines) was converted to 707-320
   spec, complete with old JT3D or JT4A engines.

 * Airbus converted at least one A330 between RB.211 and PW4000 engines.
   I can't remember which was first but it was a flight test aircraft for
   both engine types.  Might have been an artifact of crashing one of the
   PW4000-equipped flight test planes.

 * One or more MD-11s were converted between GE and Pratt prior to
   delivery to someone in the Middle East.  (I'm not certain about this
   example.

Any others?

  - Andrew A. Rooney