Re: Fuel Dump Question

Date:         07 Dec 98 23:19:37
From:         Trevor Fenn <trevfenn@erols.SPAMOUTcom>

James Matthew Weber wrote:

> On 03 Nov 98 02:05:40 , jbarnold57@aol.com (JBArnold57) wrote:
> >What happens to the dumped fuel?  Does much of it evaporate on the way down?
> >Does it ever cause any particular problems on the ground (or water)?
>
> It evaporates, eventually if the weather is warm, otherwise it can be
> around for a long time. Vapor pressure on JetA isn't very high, so it
> doesn't evaporate all that easily. It isn't gasoline.
>
>  There was an incident at JFK not long ago (last month). If the
> weather isn't warm, it will take a long time to evaporate, and a
> neighborhood around JFK aparently smelled lke a jet  fuel depot for a
> few days. Locals were NOT happy. I think it was an AA D10 on the way
> to the carribean that took some birds on takeoff..

Sounds like an incident at BWI some months ago, a World Airways DC-10
departed but had to return allegedly because a 14 month old child had
choked on some chewing gum. Story has it that one of the dump valves
failed to close prior to landing which resulted in fuel be released all
the way to the ground.

Now this should NEVER HAVE HAPPENED, I mean what kind of idiot gives
chewing gum to a 14 month old child??

Trevor Fenn
trevfenn@erols.com