Re: UA 777

Date:         07 Dec 98 23:19:28
From:         malc@mci2000.com (Malcolm Weir)

On 30 Nov 98 03:07:45 , Niraj Agarwalla <niraj@shore.net> caused to appear
as if it was written:

>On 20 Nov 1998, MAC wrote:
>
>> Am I right in thinking that UA is suffering high costs because of 777
>> engine problems?
>>
>> Out of 8 flights in the last year I have had 4 delays or cancellations
>> because of engine related problems...am I unlucky or typical?
>
>  Every new aircraft types gets a few teething problems.  BA had big
>problems with their GE90-equipped 777s.  It got to the point that
>BA decided on the RR engines to equip their next batch of 777s.

Don't be too sure that the decision to go with the Trent's for the next
777's was caused by problems with the GE90's.  Other factors include the
dramatically lower weight (which makes the Trent significantly more
economical for flights up to about 10 hours, whereupon the GE90's start
becoming much cheaper), politics (keeping British jobs in a pro-labor Labour
government), and possibly other issues, hypothetically commonality with the
AA fleet!

Malc.