Re: Mystery over 1992 El-Al crash

Date:         07 Dec 98 23:19:14
From:         john@nospam.demon.co.uk (John Wright)

On 30 Nov 98 03:07:35 , in <airliners.1998.1795@ohare.Chicago.COM>,
HatCat wrote:
>Uranium does get used as a ballast weight and the 747 does use them. I
>don't know if that's standard on all makes and models but, in any case,
>the uranium used is "depleted uranium" which is not usually radioactive
>above measurable normal background levels. If it retains residual
>radioactivity, it would be of a very, very, low order.

Running rapidly off topic, but you would be surprised at how much
radiation comes off a piece of depleted uranium. I have one in my
cupboard at work, and I can see about 50 uSv/hr gamma rays on the
surface. Not exactly background.

>I wonder how many people exhibited symptoms before the word "uranium"
>got used in the media? Not that I think they had malicious intent, just
>that many people start imagining all sorts of ailments if a handy cause
>seems at hand.

That's another matter, and one that is very plausible.
--
John Wright

"There's spam egg sausage and spam, that's not got _much_ spam in it."
"I don't want *any* spam..."