Re: More 737 problems?

Date:         30 Nov 98 03:08:01
From:         jmaddaus@NO-SPAM.usa.net (John S. Maddaus)

kls@ohare.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz) wrote:
>>What I have seen is pretty much another ageing airliner inspection. They want
>>the aft bulkhead inspected for corrosion and wear. If this bulkhead fails, the
>>pressurization fails, at best.
>
>At best or at worst?  The 500+ people who were killed when the aft
>bulkhead on a certain 747 failed illustrate the worst case.

 Any chance this could have been a factor in Colorado Springs or
US427?  I know they were both relatively low, but transition to/from
pressurized altitude causes stresses, correct?  If a failure had
occurred in the bulkhead could it have impacted primary control
movement cables, hydraulics, etc. during transition?  For example, in
US427, bulkhead intact but severely weakened, hits wake turbulence,
pilot uses rudder, stress of turbulence on ac causes bulkhead to fail
completely, jams cable or cuts hydraulics?  Pure speculation, but just
wondering.

Also, do airlines (specifically UA or US since that is what I fly
mostly) inspect the floor integrity, especially over the unpressurized
cargo area.  I'm all for flex but it is rather disconcerting to have a
100 lb or less FA walk by and have my seat dip noticeably especially
on some of the older 727/737s.  Seems to happen the most to me just
forward of the wing leading edge.

Better start setting height requirements for 777 FAs.  Most have to
stand on seats to close interior overheads:)

jmaddaus@usa.net