Re: UA 777

Date:         30 Nov 98 03:07:44
From:         Chuanga@cris.com (H Andrew Chuang)

MAC <castleport@compuserve.com> wrote:
>Am I right in thinking that UA is suffering high costs because of 777
>engine problems?
>
>Out of 8 flights in the last year I have had 4 delays or cancellations
>because of engine related problems...am I unlucky or typical?

Perhaps you were just unlucky.  The engine dispatch reliability and
inflight shutdown rate of the P&W engines on UA's B777s are very
similar to those on other earlier twin-engine planes.  The former rate is
well into the high 99% range, and the latter is comfortably below the
ETOPS-required rate of 0.02 per 1,000 engine flight hours.  I don't mean
to say the engines are problem free (because they are not), but I don't
believe there are any serious abnormalities.