Re: Fuel Dump Question

Date:         30 Nov 98 03:07:38
From:         jmweber@goodnet.com (James Matthew Weber)

On 03 Nov 98 02:05:40 , jbarnold57@aol.com (JBArnold57) wrote:
>What happens to the dumped fuel?  Does much of it evaporate on the way down?
>Does it ever cause any particular problems on the ground (or water)?

It evaporates, eventually if the weather is warm, otherwise it can be
around for a long time. Vapor pressure on JetA isn't very high, so it
doesn't evaporate all that easily. It isn't gasoline.

 There was an incident at JFK not long ago (last month). If the
weather isn't warm, it will take a long time to evaporate, and a
neighborhood around JFK aparently smelled lke a jet  fuel depot for a
few days. Locals were NOT happy. I think it was an AA D10 on the way
to the carribean that took some birds on takeoff..

You try to do it over unpopulated areas (ocean), and if you can do it
from reasonable altitude, in good weather, hopefully it will disperse
(it will be spread as a fine mist over a sufficiently large area that
no one will notice and substantially evaporate before it reaches the
ground.)

Doesn't always work that way however, and yes it is a problem on the
gound. Stains paint, not good for livestock, cars, houses or people or
anything else.