Re: Mystery over 1992 El-Al crash

Date:         30 Nov 98 03:07:34
From:         ebright@coil.com (Eeeb)

On 20 Nov 98 02:30:43 , "C.S." <Christian.Schulz@NOSPAMalcatel.de> wrote:
>In the german TV a report about the El-Al crash stated that many local
>residents near the crash site develloped in the meantime symptoms linked
>to radiation-exposure. The program concluded that the counterweights
>used by the 747 were made of uranium, and that the radiation spread
>around through the resulting fire.
>
>In the program, Boeings official comment was that the _actual_
>counterweights are made of steel. Does anybody know which material was
>used to balance the earlier versions of the 747 ?

I am sure if the counterweights were uranium, they were U-238.  This
is the isotope that remains after the much more radioactive U-235 is
removed (and used in various atomic activities).  U-238 is just as
heavy and dense but is relatively cheap since it is an unwanted
byproduct.

U-238 also has the advantge that it is relatively inert in a
radioactive sense.  It would not produce burns and other symptoms of
radiation exposure since it is not very radioactive.

So, if the residents developed radiation exposure symptoms, it was
almost certainly not from the El-Al 747's counterweights.

--
Jim Ebright    NET Security: http://www.coil.com/~ebright/
Spam,eggs,sausage,and Spam. That's not got much...