Re: Boeing 720

Date:         24 Jan 98 14:46:54
From:         faurecm@halcyon.com (C. Marin Faure)

westin*nospam@graphics.cornell.edu (Stephen H. Westin) wrote:

> faurecm@halcyon.com (C. Marin Faure) writes:
> > Whoever was in charge of model names
> > didn't like that so they decided to call it the 717-020 because its short
> > fuselage was more like the KC-135 (Boeing 717) than the other 707 models.
>
> I thought the 717 (KC-135) actually had a *narrower* fuselage than the
> 707, not just a shorter one.

You're right.  However, from what I've read at the company, the initial
thought of calling the 720 the 717-020 was based on the fact that the new
plane was shorter than the 707-320 and so was more like the military 717.
The length differences in the fuselages were immediatly apparent, where
the width differences were not all that obvious.

C. Marin Faure
  author, Flying A Floatplane