Re: Mystery over 1992 El-Al crash

Date:         30 Nov 98 03:07:29
From:         Pete Mellor <pm@csr.city.ac.uk>

Kees de Lezenne Coulander <lezenne@compuserve.com> wrote 20 Nov 98 02:30:42 :-

>      I can confirm that the aircraft crashed into an apartment building (a
> mere 600 yards from here). The date was Sunday October 4, 1992, just before
> dusk. The official accident report lists the number of fatalities as 3
> crew, 1 'passenger' and 43 others. The latter number is indeed partly based
> on circumstantial evidence, and not necessarily exact.

According to the reports in the UK media at the time, the uncertainty
was due to the fact that many of the occupants of the block were
illegal immigrants, drifters, or others not officially known to the
authorities, so that it was impossible to say who was living there.
Add to that the facts that many of the bodies would have been totally
consumed in the fire, and that some people who weren't actually in the
block at the time might have been unwilling to come forward to identify
themselves as residents.

Peter Mellor, Centre for Software Reliability, City University, Northampton
Square, London EC1V 0HB, UK. Tel: +44 (171) 477-8422, Fax: +44 (171) 477-8585
E-mail: p.mellor@csr.city.ac.uk