Re: 319 Dutch Roll?

Date:         20 Nov 98 02:30:50
From:         cowboy@ram.net.au

  fidgeon@pangea.ca wrote:
> MJones wrote:
> > Flew for the first time on a 319 yesterday, and was surprised at how often
> > Dutch roll developed and how long it lasted.  Was this bird's yaw damper
> > not working correctly or is this common on the 319?  Anybody know
> > definitively?  (Note:  Definitely not intended as an AI slam:  Overall I
> > was very impressed with the 319, at least as configured by Air Canada.)
>
> I fly on A320/A319 almost every two weeks....the slight dutch roll
> appears quite common on both aircraft.  Not really noticable unless yer
> looking at the wing tip.

Dutch roll cannot be eliminated only countered by the yaw damper. The roll
occurs and then the yaw damper corrects, and having applied rudder almost
instantaneouly removes the application, else it cause yaw in the direction of
the applied correction.

The adverse yaw oscillation (dutch roll) occurs again and is corrected again.

As it is a function of sweep back above a certain angle ,what you observed,
developing regularly and appearing to be almost permanent, is normal.

How well the yaw damper coupler worked you also indirectly commented upon.
cowboy