Re: Mystery over 1992 El-Al crash

Date:         20 Nov 98 02:30:44
From:         cowboy@ram.net.au

In article <airliners.1998.1746@ohare.Chicago.COM>, Alan Strange <alan.strange@gecm.com> wrote:
> David Lesher wrote:
> > The Dutch press and Los Angeles Times reporter Carol Williams have
> > been looking into mysteries surrounding the 1992 El Al crash in
> > Amsterdam. [Moderator; add date/details??]
>
> I saw a programme on Tv about this , called 'Disaster' I think.
> It certainly should protective-suited men around the accident site,
> while the fire crews were told to stay back.
>
> There were also doubts as to why the pilot had not ditched in a large
> lake, rather than return to the airport with 2 engines missing.

A media beat up. The aeroplane will fly on two engines so why not fly to an
aerodrome and land rather than to a lake and ditch.

As with any asymmetric flying the Vmca or in this case the Vmca2 must be
adhered too. To slow below it means loss of rudder directional control and
yaw. Applying  power then to regain the speed exacebates the problem. If I
recall this became the crux of his problem with an attempted go around.

cowboy