Re: Mystery over 1992 El-Al crash

Date:         20 Nov 98 02:30:42
From:         Kees de LezenneCoulander <lezenne@compuserve.com>

Karl Swartz (kls@chicago.com) wrote:

>The aircraft crashed into an apartment (?) building on October 10, 1992
>after the #3 engine separated from the aircraft, damaging the leading
>edge of the wing and knocking off the #4 engine in the process.  I have
>it as 54 people killed, mostly on the ground, though I'm not sure they
>ever really came up with an exact number.
>
>The accident aircraft was a 747-258F, registration 4X-AXG, line number
>362.

     Ik can confirm that the aircraft crashed into an apartment building (a
mere 600 yards from here). The date was Sunday October 4, 1992, just before
dusk. The official accident report lists the number of fatalities as 3
crew, 1 'passenger' and 43 others. The latter number is indeed partly based
on circumstantial evidence, and not necessarily exact.
                                 Kees de Lezenne Coulander
--
  C.M. de Lezenne Coulander
  Amsterdam-Zuidoost

  Aircraft Development and Systems Engineering B.V.
  Schiphol-Rijk, The Netherlands