Re: Boeing 720

Date:         24 Jan 98 14:46:51
From:         "Barry Oliver" <barryo@wolfenet.COM>

> I was an A&P mechanic for American Airlines during the mid-sixties.
> American Airlines have 23 Boeing 720-23B. The Boeing 720-23B is a much
> lighter plane compared with the other Boeing 707. There seems to be
> hell of a lot of cracks on the fuselage and each time it came in for
> maintenance, we checked for cracks everywhere including the landing
> gears. The wings leaking fuel too.. No one seemed to like to work on
> this particular aircraft.

It may have been tough to maintain but was sure fun to fly compared to the
707-320, seemed like someone strapped a couple of extra engines on it.

After running around the Orient in the 707-320 for a few days we often got
routed back through Anchorage and then flew a 720 to Seattle. In the winter
it would climb out of ANC like a rocket, easy to peg the IVSI at 6,000 FPM.

Barry