Re: A/C on fire

Date:         20 Nov 98 02:30:30
From:         Stephan Stephany <stephan@lac.inpe.br>

Don Stauffer wrote:
> The result is that the landing speed on a modern commercial jet is so
> high that an off-field landing is virtually impossible without
> destroying the aircraft.

Well, I'm not an expert, but a final approach (full flaps) would be
something like 130 knots (or 240 km/h or 150 mph) and you still have
a chance of surviving IF you find a suitable terrain and IF you escape
from the flames. OK, but even a remote chance is better than nothing.

I think that the point is to evaluate what your chances are.
I mean that everybody has the tendency of thinking like
"OK, I think I'll make it" and that prevents you of some
more drastical action like preparing to crash landing the aircraft
(when the situation deteriorates then it's too late...).
Of course this is not an easy issue, even for an experienced
crew.

Stephan

--
Dr. Stephan Stephany		mailto:stephan@lac.inpe.br