Re: A/C on fire

Date:         03 Nov 98 02:05:46
From:         Don Stauffer <stauffer@htc.honeywell.com>
Followups:    1 2 3 4

Richard Rea wrote:
> After pondering the Value-Jet and Swissair crashes (and other similar,
> aircraft fires leading to loss of control) I wonder if it wouldn't be
> prudent to plan to "crash-land" the aircraft.  The pilot would have to get
> down as fast as possible and in an area that would hopefully would give some
> measure of survivability.  But going low and slow enough might give the
> option of continuing on to the nearest airport or else crash in control if
> the situation rapidly deteriorates.  Is this a viable consideration?

In the US, anyway, way back in the stone age, there was a maximum
landing or stall speed (I forget which, and I forget the number).  As
cruise speeds climbed and climbed, it seemed like this requirement
became uneconomical, and was done away with.

The result is that the landing speed on a modern commercial jet is so
high that an off-field landing is virtually impossible without
destroying the aircraft.

--
Don Stauffer in Minneapolis
home web site- http://home1.gte.net/stauffer/