Re: Cell phones in cockpit for emergency use ?

Date:         26 Oct 98 02:59:51
From:         "S.L." <look@the.sig>

> JF Mezei  <jfmezei.spamnot@videotron.ca> wrote:
> >OK, cellphones are a big no-no for on airlines. But it seems that the biggest
> >reason is because at altitude it "confuses" land-bases cell sites.
> >
> >However, if an airplane were to loose all power (or all radios), would it
> >still be feasable to use a passenger's analog cell phoen to keep in touch with
> >ATC/tower ?

Several points:

1) Cell phone towers don't transmit "up", they transmit/recieve
horizontally or at a slight downward angle. I doubt that you could even
get a reliable connection whilst flying 30,000 feet *above* the towers.

2) Even if you had a decent signal path, the cell system would go
bonkers trying to figure out why one phone just connected 17 towers.

3) If you were an ATC/tower official, how seriously would *you* take a
phone caller who claimed to be on an aircraft you were controlling?

--
Stephen Lacker
slacker@arlut.utexxas.edu (Remove the extra 'x' to mail me)