Re: Cell phones in cockpit for emergency use ?

Date:         26 Oct 98 02:59:50
From:         Alan Browne <alan.browne@SPAMX.sympatico.ca>

JF Mezei wrote:

> OK, cellphones are a big no-no for on airlines. But it seems that the biggest
> reason is because at altitude it "confuses" land-bases cell sites.
>
> However, if an airplane were to loose all power (or all radios), would it

We've tried to use cell phones in flight from a Navajo to call the lab
during flight testing of various avionics.  Often it works, but very
often we can hear other cell conversations, and we suspect that other
cell subscribers are hearing the aircraft originating transmission.  We
were in effect "hopping cells".  We stopped doing this because the
quality of the calls to the lab were not very good in the first place,
and secondly we suspect we were violating the DOC rules or the contract
rules of the cell phone.

Airlines prohbit cell phones mainly due to the fact that they are radio
transmitters, and may have an effect on the short range receivers aboard
the aircraft.  In an emergency this may be a moot point...

My father used to carry around a portable VHF tranceiver on his travels
in his single engine plane.  It also had a VOR receiver (but no bearing
indication...so useless as a NAV receiver.)  He carried it in case he
lost his single on board XCVR.  (He also carried a portable ELT in
addition to the aircraft mounted ELT.)

Alan.