Re: More 737 problems?

Date:         26 Oct 98 02:59:35
From:         cwunder@offline.no (Claus Wunderbaum)

G'day John S. Maddaus!
On 12 Oct 98 00:02:08  you wrote:

>little headline banner appears on the bottom with a blurb that the FAA
>is ordering repairs to 737s.  So I hang around through two newscasts
>and not a word is mentioned.  Anyone have a clue, rudder, wiring,
>something new?

Oh yeah man, the saga goes on ... :-I

 AVflash            Vol. 4, Issue 41          Monday, October 12, 1998

MORE 737 INSPECTIONS PROPOSED -- BULKHEAD CRACKS TARGETED:

The latest reaction to the ongoing challenge of what to do about aging
aircraft came last week as the FAA proposed to require that high-cycle
Boeing 737s be inspected for cracks in their forward pressure bulkheads.
The FAA said its proposed AD was based on reports of fatigue cracking in
the structures, although no accidents are known to have occurred.

The Air Bulletin
Vol. 3 No. 1 October 7, 1998

FAA ORDERS CHECKS ON YOUNGER 737s

The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) is expanding checks of
the world's most numerous airliner to include Boeing 737-100
through 500 series jets with between 20,000 and 30,000 flight
hours. Airlines were given 60 days to look for damaged insulation
on wires going to the fuel boost pumps through conduits buried in
the wing tanks. All previous FAA orders related to the problem
applied to 737s with more than 30,000 flight hours.

FAA spokeswoman Alison Duquette said the threshold was
lowered after some signs of wire damage were noticed on aircraft
with between 29,000 and 35,000 flight hours. In May 1998, the FAA
grounded all first generation 737s with more than 50,000 flight
hours for urgent checks, fearing a spark could touch off an
explosion or start a fire [The Air Bulletin Vol. 2 No. 33]. The order
was progressively extended, albeit with less urgency, to aircraft
with lesser flight hours. The order will affect an estimated 215 US
registered 737s. Though it is not mandatory for non-US registered
aircraft, the order is likely to be followed by airlines outside the US
for safety reasons.

The FAA and Boeing engineers believe engine vibration over many
thousands of hours shakes the wire in the conduit until a protective
Teflon sleeve and insulation wear through. The FAA is asking
airlines to replace any damaged wires if necessary and apply a
second wrapping of Teflon. Newer generation Boeing 737s, the -
600, -700 and -800 series have not been affected as they do not
have electrical wires running through conduits in the fuel tanks.

--
        - CW -

"What a waste it is to lose one's mind. Or not to have a mind is being
 very wasteful. How true that is." - Former U.S. Vice-President Dan Quayle.