Re: More 737 problems?

Date:         26 Oct 98 02:59:34
From:         neville clarke <nevilleclarke@airwise.com>

At 00:02 12/10/98, you wrote:
>Enough is enough.  I'm channel surfing and I hit MSNBC which of course
>is discussing what else.  Before I turn to the next channel, the
>little headline banner appears on the bottom with a blurb that the FAA
>is ordering repairs to 737s.  So I hang around through two newscasts
>and not a word is mentioned.  Anyone have a clue, rudder, wiring,
>something new?

**The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) issued a notice October 8 of a
proposed rule requiring that Boeing 737-100 through -500 series aircraft
with more than 60,000 takeoffs and landings be inspected within the next
1,500 flight cycles. Planes with less flight time would have to be
inspected once they reached 15,000 flight cycles or, if they are over that
limit, every 3,000 cycles thereafter. In all cases, operators have to make
modifications to strengthen the bulkhead, located in the cockpit, before
the planes hit 75,000 flight cycles or fly a total of 12,000 trips once the
rule is made final. The FAA said the changes were prompted by reports of
structural fatigue cracks in some bulkheads. The barriers allow the planes
to pressurize to a safe breathing atmosphere. Left untended, cracks could
widen and trigger a rapid depressurization of a plane. There are 2,802
planes affected by the proposed rule, 1,130 of which are registered in the
United States. The total cost of the proposed inspections would be $23,000
per aircraft, while the modifications would cost an estimated $63,000 per
aircraft. The Boeing Co., which built the airliners, has already issued a
service bulletin suggesting the inspections and changes. Comments on the
proposed rule are due within 45 days. A final rule is expected in early 1999.

Hope this story may help
Neville
--
Neville Clarke
AIRWISE - The Independent Airport and Air Travel Guide