Re: Swissair MD-11 (SR 111, JFK-GVA) crash off Nova Scotia

Date:         26 Oct 98 02:59:18
From:         westin*nospam@graphics.cornell.edu (Stephen H. Westin)

Alan Browne <alan.browne@SPAMX.sympatico.ca> writes:

> SRG CAA wrote:
> > > It should be noted that the aircraft does have a battery bus for
> > > essential systems, and that the FDAU, FDR and CVR are part of these
> > > systems.
> >
> > Not true.  The CVR and/or FDR do not need (by regulation) to be connected
> > to the Battery Bus.  There is a good reason.  These two equipments will not
> > help get you home safely in the event of an emergency where the whole
> > battery capacity is needed.
>
> This is confirmed by the report in AW&ST where as part of the SMOKE
> drill, the electrical buses are switched to isolate the source of smoke.

<snip>

I'm curious about one point here. Presumably all airliners have
similar switches and procedures for isolating and eliminating a smoke
source. Plainly this procedure wasn't enough to save SR111: how often
does it work in practice? Is this just some theoretical fantasy that
keeps the flight crew busy while the plane is burning up? I would hope
there are some success stories.

--
-Stephen H. Westin