Re: Swissair MD-11 (SR 111, JFK-GVA) crash off Nova Scotia

Date:         12 Oct 98 00:02:35
From:         JF Mezei <jfmezei.spamnot@videotron.ca>
Followups:    1 2 3

Anonymous lo14 wrote:
> Some *cargo* compartments depend on a lack of oxygen to snuff out a
> fire, but no passenger compartment can do that.  That's because those
> cargo compartments are inaccessible in flight.  You fight passenger
> cabin fires with fire extinguishers.

In the case of the DC-9 (Valuejet), it was considered a Class-D cargo
compartment which, if I remember correctly, assumes air starvation as
method of extinguishing, right ?

But the DC-9 also vents cabin air through holes in the cabin floor
alongside the walls, and that air goes to the cargo hold (one of which
is heated).  So I wonder how it can starve a cago fire of air unless it
stops pumping air in the cabin.