Re: Swissair MD-11 (SR 111, JFK-GVA) crash off Nova Scotia

Date:         12 Oct 98 00:02:34
From:         "Michael Weiss" <ANTISPAMmweiss@microsoft.com>

MCL757 wrote in message ...
>>I cannot imagine anything worse that a crash landing, on fire, fully
>>fueled
>I don't think fuel is dumped to avoid a fire during the crash.
>...  You don't want landing gear struts going
>through the wing tanks on touchdown..

Matt,

I think that was precisely his point. Fully fueled makes you heavier, more
likely to cause the struts to puncture the wing tanks. Bad situation under
the best of conditions. When you have a clearly uncontrolled flame source
(as opposed to the engines, which are designed to contain their flames),
that makes it far more likely to result in a fire of the kind that nobody
could survive.

Granted, nobody did anyway, but we have the benefit of hindsight.

Michael