Re: Swissair MD-11 (SR 111, JFK-GVA) crash off Nova Scotia

Date:         12 Oct 98 00:02:33
From:         Craig <cshieldsnospam@graymills.nospam.com>

Anonymous lo14 wrote:
> On 05 Oct 98 00:27:07  jmaddaus@NO-SPAM.usa.net (John S. Maddaus)  wrote:
> >Also, I remember reading an article dealing with the amount of outside
> >air vs. recirculated air that is available throughout the ac.  I don't
> >know whether this is true for all aircraft types, but the
> >generalization was that the cockpit is approximately 90% ventilated
> >from the outside, while first class is 50% and coach is down to 20%.
>
> It's true for the MD-11, although the amount of new air introduced does
> not vary with the seating.  It only varies with the total number of
> passengers on board; you don't need as much new air on an empty
> airplane as you do on a full one.

Ah, but think of the possibilities for "Titanic 2".  The evil pilot turns the
air down to "economy".  With only 20% of that air going to Economy (why start
with facts in movies now), the passengers rush, gasping, to the 1st Class
curtain where they are turned away by the evil Steward bearing a loon mallet
(Mk VI, of course).

Cheers...Craig
---
Good manners and bad breath get you nowhere - Elvis Costello
---
It's no use to blame the looking glass if your face is awry - S.J. Perelman
---
People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how
hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world - Calvin (& Hobbes)