Re: Sighted a shock wave above airliner wing

Date:         12 Oct 98 00:02:16
From:         Alan Browne <abrowne@SPAMX.sympatico.ca>

Phil Dunn wrote:
> Do you think this could be condensation instead of shock wave?
>
> I have flown lots of supersonic formation and you don't see shock waves.
> You can feel them though.
>
> But as the pressure gets very low, you can see transient condensation of
> water and this appears like shock wave.

I agree: I have often seen condensation form in sheets over a wing, and
occasionally in sharply defined patterns that could be interpreted as a
shock wave.  Since the density of water vapour can vary greatly as the
wing flies through it, these patterns tend to pop into view, disappear
and pop back.

Alan.