Re: Sighted a shock wave above airliner wing

Date:         12 Oct 98 00:02:11
From:         hatcat@frontiernet.net (J. W. Dawson)

Clive Leyman wrote in message ...
> Yes, I've seen that as well, once on a VC10 flying the Atlantic in the
>afternoon , and once on a Raytheon (nee BAe) 125 flying to Toulouse  early
>morning. On both occasions the sun was low and shining through both cabin
>windows.

Finally! I've caught sight of shockwaves over the years and, when I
mentioned it, I got treated like I was claiming an Elvis sighting.

Though I haven't seen one in a while, I can recall on several occasions
seeing them above the wing of 727's during cruise. Why this plane and
seldom, if ever, on others, I don't know. Most often it was when the sun was
shining relatively low from the opposite side of the aircraft.

J. W. Dawson (HatCat)