Re: RTO Decision made by the computer

Date:         07 Oct 98 02:49:20
From:         Ralf.Sipple@t-online.de (Ralf Sipple)

In sci.aeronautics.airliners Thomas Buro <buro@gmx.net> wrote:
> design the issue of Rejected take off was discussed. A professor could
> mathematically prove that decisions shortly before V1 is reached are
> better made by a computer. The scenario was: one engine failure, no

Experience in many accidents has shown that pilots tend to abort the
T/O even at speeds slightly above V1. Asked, why they had done this,
they didn't have an explanation or stated something like "#3 had failed,
so I suspected that #4 had failed too". I think that there is a
psychological barrier. One doesn't want to take off with an
unhealthy plane. Men want to keep their feet on the ground.

I predict, that most pilots don't want a computer to decide whether
to abort or continue a take off. On the other hand, there aren't many
exceptions to the rule "before V1 stop, after V1 go".

I have no doubt that AI wouldn't hesitate to build such a device
in its planes to make them more "pilot proof".

I think that such device could assist the commander in making his
decision by not just saying "ding, ding, ding" but give a more
distinct warning like "engine 2 flameout, everything else ok. Please
continue".

Viele Gruesse,

Ralf

--
2-Zimmer-DG-Wohnung in Greven bei Muenster/Westf. zu vermieten:
http://home.t-online.de/home/ralf.sipple/whg_greven.html

Ralf Sipple      | Fax +49-2571-549327          | sipple@writeme.com
D-48268 Greven   | Anrufbeantw. +49-2571-549326 | pgp key on request!