Re: RTO Decision made by the computer

Date:         07 Oct 98 02:49:17
From:         rdd@netcom.nospam.com

In article <airliners.1998.1549@ohare.Chicago.COM> Thomas Buro <buro@gmx.net> writes:
>On a conference about the design of human-machine systems, i.e. Cockpit
>design the issue of Rejected take off was discussed. A professor could
>mathematically prove that decisions shortly before V1 is reached are
>better made by a computer. The scenario was: one engine failure, no
>further problems etc. In case of engine failure and a wrong decision of
>the pilot the computer would fly the aircraft.

Given a fixed number of variables, a computer can perform almost any task
better than a human.  The difficulties arise when the variables are subject
to interpretation.  Do you abort after a loud noise?  When did the takeoff
roll start?  How confident do you feel you can actually stop?

A number of incidents in the 1980s brought forth a realization that
an incident at or before V1 doesn't *have* to mean you stop.  Sometimes,
it's better to take off.

That judgement is what we pay pilots the big bucks for.

>What do professional pilots think about that issue? Would you like such
>a system, which is taking control or would you like to have warnings
>from the computer what is the better decision ? (How should such a
>warning look like)

NASA (Ames, I believe) had a performance-based indicator system for this
purpose.  Check the tech reports server.

rdd@netcom.com                         aero-simulation@cactus.org

           "Bother," said Pooh when his engine quit on take-off.