Re: Swissair MD-11 (SR 111, JFK-GVA) crash off Nova Scotia

Date:         07 Oct 98 02:49:08
From:         mcl757@aol.com (MCL757)

>I cannot imagine anything worse that a crash landing, on fire, fully
>fueled, probably flying blind, partially disabled and in the dark - the
>choice to dump fuel seems like the most obvious given the circumstances.

I don't think fuel is dumped to avoid a fire during the crash.  It is to get
the aircraft down to its maximum landing weight to avoid overstressing and
breaking the aircaraft structure...  You don't want landing gear struts going
through the wing tanks on touchdown..

Matt in Seattle
Student Pilot
To most people, the sky is the limit. To those who fly, the sky is home.