Re: SR111 Fuel numbers

Date:         05 Oct 98 00:26:55
From:         westin*nospam@graphics.cornell.edu (Stephen H. Westin)

James Matthew Weber <m.weber@duc.com.kw> writes:

> I have now seen a couple of transcripts where the pilots of SR111 claims
> fuel aboard at 230 tons.

<snip>

> I find that hard to believe, in fact I find it hard to believe
> the fuel capacity on an MD11 would be much over 120 tons. In fact I doubt
> the difference between emtpy weight and MGTOW is that much!

> Any comments?

The annotation on ABC's Web site assumes that the pilot was actually
quoting groos weight, rather than fuel weight. Much more
plausible. MGTOW is listed as 273 metric tons, 286 tons for the
extended-range version. Typical operating empty weight is 132-133
tons. See <http://www.boeing.com/commercial/md-11/product.html> for
details.

The captain was under considerable stress, after all, and the gross
weight was probably uppermost in his mind in terms of an emergency
landing. An understandable error under the circumstances.

BTW: a ton is only 2,000lb. in the U.S, and not always here. The long
ton is very roughly equivalent to the metric ton, which is 1,000kg. or
about 2,200lb.

--
-Stephen H. Westin