Re: Fuel Dump Question

Date:         05 Oct 98 00:26:28
From:         Robert Courteau <engrc@cae.ca>

Scott Decker wrote:
> It was mention that the pilot may have dumped to much or all of the
> fuel. I don't think this was the case personally however it brought up
> a question. Can ALL the fuel be dumped in a situation like this? Is
> it possible to accidentally starve your own engines if you forget to
> stop?

The MD11 fuel dump system is controlled by a panel, on which the pilot
inputs the amount of fuel to keep; the fuel system controller then dumps
until the selected level is reached. It is therefore not possible for
the crew to "forget to stop" the dump procedure. Not to mention that I
fail to see how running out of fuel would kill the FDR and CVR at the
same time as dropping the aircraft out of radar coverage.