Re: Performance drop on B772ER ?

Date:         21 Sep 98 00:31:45
From:         Marc Schaeffer <marcmsc*@cmdnet.lu>

Bob Mann wrote:
> Where was this performance degradation reported?

All I will tell you is that I got this from inside a well known asian carrier.

> If the 1.5-2.0% SFC deterioration is not "understood", how is it atributed
> to airframe?

I wrote :

"For reasons not understood the B777-200ER has deteriorated some 1.5 to
2 percent fuel burn. What's interesting is that this performance loss
appears to be primarily airframe related rather than engine related."

Note that in my initail post it is stated "this performance loss
*APPEARS* to be primarily airframe related". Thus we may conclude that
both the carrier and the manufacturer have only assumptions at this
stage.

The reason I posted this information in the group was to get more
information on this problem. Note that the MD11s had at the beginning of
it's carrer performance problems, which were related to the frame and
not to the engines.  This 777 problem -- if confirmed -- seems however
to occur only with time.

Marc Schaeffer, Luxembourg  mailto:marcmsc@geocities.com
WWW  http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Lab/8803/
The DE HAVILLAND COMET website http://surf.to/comet