Re: Inflight extinguisher - Halon 1211?

Date:         24 Jan 98 02:53:34
From:         gfmoff1@airmail.net (Gary Moffitt)

In article <airliners.1998.100@ohare.Chicago.COM>, Joktan Lo
<joktanlo@macau.ctm.net> wrote:

> Dear Sir,
>             May I ask whether Halon 1211 is a gas or powder
> extinguishant?

Gas

>             May I ask whether Halon 1211 is toxic and is it a fatal
> toxic if people breathe in halon?

People have been killed from using halon in a confined area, halon put out
fires by binding up the free oxygen in the air, thus suffocating the
fire.  It will also suffocate a person the same way.

>             If there is an inflight oven fire, what is your opinion
> should the cabin crew to touch the oven door to certify that a fire is
> suspected before they fight the fire. I wonder whether the airliner oven
> door could conduct the heat or not?

Aircraft oven doors are insulated, the will become warm but they won't
become hot. Some of the oven doors have a peep hole in them so that you
could observe the inside of the oven by pushing aside a small cover.

--
Gary S. Moffitt