Re: Swissair MD-11 (SR 111, JFK-GVA) crash off Nova Scotia

Date:         10 Sep 98 03:04:28
From:         "Richard Rea" <rrea@xmission.com>

Karl Swartz wrote in message ...
>>why wouldn't it be possible to open the side cockpit windows?
>
>I think there was mention of that being done in the case of ValuJet 592.

There are a couple of problems with opening windows if indeed there is an
on-board fire.  One is that you are adding lots of fresh air to feed the
fire.  If it is a smoldering fire, then the appropriate measure would be to
don oxygen masks and avoid allowing outside air into the cabin.  Also, if
you have smoke entering the cabin and you open windows or fresh-air vents,
the pressure inside the cabin will drop relative to the outside air (flow
around a large body will tend to cause a decrease in pressure within the
body) and will exasperate the problem, i.e. cause *more* smoke to enter the
cockpit.  I don't think that it would have been too good an idea for the
pilot to try to stick his head out of the window, as there wouldn't have
been much to see that would be helpful (it was dark, wasn't it?).  You also
wouldn't be able to see the instruments.