Re: Swissair MD-11 (SR 111, JFK-GVA) crash off Nova Scotia

Date:         10 Sep 98 03:04:22
From:         ehahn@mitre.org (Edward Hahn)

In article <airliners.1998.1405@ohare.Chicago.COM>, kls@ohare.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz) wrote:
>Someone else wrote:
>>P.S.: wasn't this accident similiar to the ValueJet in Florida ?
>
>Both involved fire, or at least smoke, aboard aircraft manufactured by
>McDonnell Douglas, and both crashed into water killing all aboard.  On
>the other hand, one crash occurred shortly after takeoff and involved
>an old aircraft that hadn't received the best of maintenance, while the
>other occurred well after the flight had reached its cruising altitude
>and involved a relatively new aircraft with a clean maintenance record
>by a top-notch carrier.

Karl, I hope that you weren't implying that the maintenance history of
the DC9 in the Valujet crash was a factor in the crash; while I
haven't seen the final, definitive report, I don't believe that
maintenance on the airframe itself was even a partial causal factor in
that accident.

ed

The above statement is the opinion of the author.  No endorsement
or warranty by the MITRE Corporation is expressed or implied.